Many years ago my family and I used to go to this great Italian restaurant in Pittsburgh. For the life of me I cannot remember the name, but I do recall this great bean dip that they served at the beginning of every meal with the bread. It is so easy to make. This is my version, I added tomato and cheese. Here is all you'll need to make this tasty dip...
- 1 bag of 16 oz frozen spinach, thawed squeezed dy with cheesecloth
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 can of Canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place everything in a bowl and mix well until the bean and spinach are smooth. You can process this in the food processor if you'd like, but the color will be bright green and you will lose the chunkiness of the beans and the tomato. My recommendation is to mix well and then set in the refrigerator for about an hour, covered, to let the flavors meld. Serve with bread and crackers.